Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Rubiat of Omar Khayam

Hi there, Have you heard of a book called the "BOOK WONDERFUL"
or the "GREAT OMAR". It has recently been presented to the British Library.
The "RUBIAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM" was written by a remarkable Persian Poet...because he
wasn't just a poet, he was also an astronomer a mathematician,a philosopher
and a scientist.If you like, you can read all about his discoveries, as there's plenty- about Omars genius. He was born in Nishapur/Persia in 1048 and was more than likely a "Tent Maker" by trade, as persian poets in those days, often took the names of their trade, according to research.

I've been told that the poetry he wrote is truly inspiring, though I haven't read any of his work yet....I will, in the near future. I am really more interested in the Astounding Book Binding for this set of poems.Sangorski decided to create a cover/binding for this poetry based on the Edward Fitzgerald translation of the Rubiat of Omar Khayyam.
The original copy took him 2 years to complete, but unfortunately went down with the Titanic in 1912.Sangorski ,who was determined to astonish the world with the greatest book binding of all time,died tragically...he drowned,I read ,in a bathtub ? and someone called "Bray" took over his work.
Using the original sangorski plans for the book..he went to work for another 6 years
only to have the book destroyed in the London blitz.(no wonder this book has the legend of being "cursed".The next time around (the 3rd copy)Took Bray,another 40 years to complete.He used
5,000 pieces of inlaid leather, 1,052 garnets,olivines,turquoise, emerald,topaz plus 600
sheets of 22carat gold leaf .I just can't comprehend the sheer magnitude of this work, and the love that must have gone into this immense project.As I surfed the web, I came across a picture of this book cover and it's truly wonderful, though I'm sure you would have to see the real thing
in order to realize its full beauty.It is known as the greatest Book Binding in all the world and I'm sure sangorski would be extremely pleased, to see his dream , finally manifested. Bray did a most remarkable job,from sangorskis original plans.
I have always been interested in book binding and was seriously thinking of doing a course...maybe I will one of these days, probably take me 40 years just to finish the course!...The cover of this book has peacocks, which some say ,is an emblem of ill fortune or sorrow...well the book certainly did go through some terrible times
before it was finally handed over to the library where I'm sure it's mightily protected.It's quite an intriguing story and... I think I'll stay away from painting peacocks. MAY THE POWER ALSO BE WITH YOU.

No comments: