Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Why the Wolf ..?

As I go about my day to day living...
I notice that the "Wolf"..is making
his presence felt ...
In fact he has been calling out or Howling,
on and off for many a year now...and I'm wondering why!

Here are just some examples on the string...of minor
synchronicities...which may..or may not mean anything much...

When we were young my Father would often play us
records , all sorts of musicals..and we would sit
around listening ...
to this certain peice of ..beautiful musical composition,as
we were enthralled by it....
The name of the composition was "PETER AND THE WOLF"

Sergei Prokofiev (1891-1953) was born in the village of Sontsovka in the Donets region of the Ukraine. He was a child prodigy composing for piano at age five and writing an opera at nine. His first teacher was his mother, a talented pianist.
In 1936, Prokofiev returned to settle permanently in the Soviet Union. One of his first compositions after his return was Peter and the Wolf, written in just two weeks in April 1936 for a children's theater in Moscow. Prokofiev invented the story and wrote the narration himself, drawing on memories of his own childhood. He constructed the music as a child's introduction to the orchestra, with each character in the story represented by a different instrument or group of instruments: Peter by the strings, the bird by the flute, the duck by the oboe, the cat by the clarinet, the wolf by the french horn and so on.

Peter and the Wolf wasa great success and has been loved by children all over the world. The music is also sophisticated enough to be enjoyed by adults, And its moral — "You can't be a hero if you don't take risks" —

Each character in the story has a musical theme played by a different instrument in the orchestra.
The Bird's Theme is played by a Flute.
The Duck's Theme is played by an Oboe.
The Cat's Theme is played by a Clarinet — also at Fraction Pie Rhythms.
The Grandfather's Theme is played by the Bassoon.
The Wolf's Theme is played by French Horns — also at Fraction Pie Rhythms.
The Hunter's Theme is played by the Timpani Drums.
And lastly, Peter's Theme is played by the Strings in the orchestra.
This is the Story.....
Early one morning, Peter opened the gate and walked out into the big green meadow.
On a branch of a big tree sat a little bird, Peter's friend. "All is quiet" the bird chirped happily.

Just then a duck came waddling round. She was glad that Peter had not closed the gate and decided to take a nice swim in the deep pond in the meadow.

Seeing the duck, the little bird flew down upon on the grass, settled next to her and shrugged his shoulders. "What kind of bird are you if you can't fly?" said he. To this the duck replied "What kind of bird are you if you can't swim?" and dived into the pond.

They argued and argued, the duck swimming in the pond and the little bird hopping along the shore.

Suddenly, something caught Peter's attention. He noticed a cat crawling through the grass.

The cat thought; "That little bird is busy arguing, I'll just grab him. Stealthily, the cat crept towards him on her velvet paws.

"Look out!" shouted Peter and the bird immediately flew up into the tree, while the duck quacked angrily at the cat, from the middle of the pond. The cat walked around the tree and thought, "Is it worth climbing up so high? By the time I get there the bird will have flown away."

Just then grandfather came out. He was upset because Peter had gone in the meadow. "It's a dangerous place. If a wolf should come out of the forest, then what would you do?"

But Peter paid no attention to his grandfather's words. Boys like him are not afraid of wolves.

But grandfather took Peter by the hand, led him home and locked the gate.

No sooner had Peter gone, than a big grey wolf came out of the forest.

In a twinkling the cat climbed up the tree. The duck quacked, and in her excitement jumped out of the pond. But no matter how hard the duck tried to run, she couldn't escape the wolf. He was getting nearer, nearer, catching up with her. Then he got her, and with one gulp, swallowed her.

And now, this is how things stood: the cat was sitting on one branch, the bird on another . . . not too close to the cat. And the wolf walked around and around the tree, looking at them with greedy eyes.

In the meantime, Peter, without the slightest fear, stood behind the closed gate watching all that was going on. He ran home, got a strong rope, and climbed up the high stone wall.

One of the branches of the tree, around which the wolf was walking, stretched out over the wall.

Grabbing hold of the branch, Peter lightly climbed over on to the tree. Peter said to the bird: "Fly down and circle over the wolf's head. Only take care that he doesn't catch you."

The bird almost touched the wolf's head with his wings while the wolf snapped angrily at him, from this side and that.

How the bird worried the wolf! How he wanted to catch him! But the bird was clever, and the wolf simply couldn't do anything about it.

Meanwhile, Peter made a lasso and carefully letting it down, caught the wolf by the tail and pulled with all his might.

Feeling himself caught, the wolf began to jump wildly trying to get loose.

But Peter tied the other end of rope to the tree, and the wolf's jumping only made the rope around his tail tighter.

Just then, the hunters came out of the woods, following the wolf's trail and shooting as they went.

But Peter, sitting in the tree, said: "Don't shoot! Birdie and I have already caught the wolf. Now help us take him to the zoo."

And now, imagine the triumphant procession: Peter at the head; after him the hunters leading the wolf; and winding up the procession, grandfather and the cat.

Grandfather shook his head discontentedly: "Well, and if Peter hadn't caught the wolf? What then?"

Above them flew Birdie chirping merrily. "My, what brave fellows we are, Peter and I! Look what we have caught!"

And if one would listen very carefully, he could hear the duck quacking inside the wolf; because the wolf in his hurry, had swallowed her alive.
So that's the story of peter and the wolf, and I'd like to thank Phil Tulga
for his web site and research about this wonderful musical composition.
I just felt that it was important to have the story here on my Blog site
it being such a great childhood memory.

2/ I recall a childhood rhyme, or was it a game we used to play
we would say ..... "WHAT'S THE TIME MR WOLF"

3/ No-one can forget the story "Little red riding Hood"
And the big "WOLF" in that childrens classic.

4/ Approx 15 years ago or longer...
My oldest sister..beautiful lady that she is...gave me a book
A most remarkable book by a Dr clarissa Pinkola Estes
called.... "WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES".
I suggest all women..anywhere... who
feel as if they are Wild Women in their souls..to go
..read this book
It's an amazing help to any women like me, who
feel helplessly trapped..like a wild animal in a cage with a lock.
Anyway, I lent this book to a friend...but it was never returned.

then B.J another friend...gave me a copy that she didn't need
...so that was a great gift
thanks B.J...I love this book !

5/ Speaking of B.J...hey beej, old friend
when are you coming to visit me?... Now..I remember,
and this was only fairly recently
maybe a year ago..that you were giving yourself
the name of "WOLFB...." for some project you were working on..
I won't give away the rest of the name you chose,
as you may not want others to know this name.
But I do recall.. that you started to have a slight
fascination with
with "WOLVES" or WOLFISH things ...ha !

6/ When my son Simon came home from hospital
...after his shocking Trauma..something very
strange happened to us both..and I wonder , why after all
the fear that he had already endured..that something
like this could happen....as well.
We were sitting on our back porch..relaxing, talking..when
Through our back gate rushes...or rather shoots
this very large, yellowish coloured furred dog..he was "BIG"
Fear stricken...it's eyes were flashing...It looked sooo
wild and scared...he also scared
simon so much, and simon bolted as fast as he could
...I too raced inside to get away
from this monster of a dog,... the likes of which...
..I have never seen ,except for maybe in the "WOLF"
enclosure of a zoo.Like out of a nightmare....
This Dog looked like a WOLF ..I kid you not.
After a little while I stood at our back door ,
as WOLF.. had come very close to..running inside,
my heart was pounding, like never before...
in total fear, and this is rather strange for me,
as I'm not usually afraid of animals..especially dogs.

He stood at our door..shaking , wild eyed and in terror
he must have been lost or something....I felt sorry for him,
after catching my breath.

I started talking to him gently..realizing ,
that this "WOLF DOG" was obviously traumatised
by something or someone..and needed help..our eyes met...for a moment
and then before I knew it ...he was gone..
running out the back gate ..and away to somewhere.....where I wondered ?
It was a very strange experience to be face to face with this odd creature.
All my instincts tell me...that "like attracting like"
..my sons shocking and fearful experience had
somehow attracted this symbol of what I will call..."The Wild WOLF".

7/ Simon awakes one morning telling me he has dreamed of a "WOLF"
and I have dreams of dog like PAW PRINTS..running up and over walls ?.

8/ Remembering now, a very old story about "THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF"
and how ..a few times ,I heard this story from either my grandmother,
parents ,relatives...or teacher at school.

9/ I recently met a man in an online Forum..whom I like very much indeed
His Avatar is a very ferocious looking "WOLF"..and the forum
members have been having brief discussions on this Wild Dog of nature.
One forum member writing a quote from the bible,
which he said that he keeps above his desk..
" Look, I am sending you out like sheep amongst wolves;
so be wise as snakes
and innocent as doves." The person who had the WOLF Avatar
insists that he is the "Protective WOLF Variety"...so good to know!
As in some cultures the WOLF is regarded as a very sacred animal
a guardian and protector.

10/ Now this is funny..to me.. One Day when our beautiful
mother was still with us..
she stood in front of the "WOLVES" enclosure at the Zoo...
and started Howling..really
Howling...like she was one of them.., it was soo funny ,I laughed so much,
but no-one else thought it was very funny... I think some of my sisters
may have been a little bit embarressed even..but I loved her for this.
mother my wonderful mother..carer and raiser of all WILD things
like me....I Love you Mum.

11/ I remember over the years seeing Lots of documentaries
...on the caring for or the raising of WOLVES
And also the wonderful docos on the WOLF in it's natural habitat.
They really are most amazing creature.
"WOLVES" are apparently one of the few animals..that mate for life!

12/ From the Bible...I remember I always got the shivers
when I heard this little part of script.....
"WOLVES" dressed in Sheeps Clothing.

13/ All those werewolf movies we would watch as teenagers ?.....

14/ the name of A friend ,Handyman and gardner of one of my sisters
was "Wolfgang" ! Wow..what a Name!

15/ 4-2-2006 We visit friends,Pam and Peppi up in the Hills of silvan
Peppi puts on a video..a compilation of old songs by various
Atists.. after a few songs this song... comes on
"HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF"..by Duran Duran..
This somewhat startles me..until I start talking about their
beautiful Big Dog called Tas, named after a tasmanian Devil they'd
once seen in Tasmania ..Pepi said they'd tossed up, as whether to call
the dog "Tas" or "Devil"...but he didn't want to be calling out
Devil all the time. I start stroking Tas, he's huge, gorgeous and
his long fur is so soft.
I casually mention to Pep.... that he looks a bit
like a "WOLF"...only to have Peppi say that Tas being a "German Shepherd"
is really related to the "WOLF" as are Alsatians...this is an
added shock...and the reason
I'm writing about it here, as part of the string of synchronicities
concerning this wonderful creature.

16/ Bob and I love the Blues singer "HOWLIN WOLF" and have a few
of his albums /cd's etc

17/ One of my favourite songs,...when I'm in the mood to party
and it goes like this......
crank up the music.... and this song is a classic.....

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein
Werewolves of London

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again
Werewolves of London

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Werewolves of London

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
Werewolves of London
Draw blood


HI THERE..well well!! another "WOLFISH"
.. synchronicity... starting to come in
loud and clear now ..

Tuesday the 14th march..
I met up with an old.. online
friend again.. Jen..I was so happy to
see her again..gorgeous woman that she is
Jen Lives in Canada.. but ...
Now jen tells me that she
is of the micmac..(I hope this spelling is correct)
tribe of indian..I find
this so fascinating..but more so... the
fact that her spirit guide
is the.. "WOLF"..I
think Jen was trying to tell
me that WOLF is
more than just a guide.
.in her tribes
traditional lores..and I
can't wait to find
out the rest of the Wolf story
..She is such
a lovely lady.....and though
I was surprised.. about this
re-emergence of wolf symbology
in my life...I'm
not so ..shocked ..any more
That the wolf..is ..coming.
..closer....closer to me..
I think he wants to be patted...
I think he sees that I am part wild thing
...and he is losing his fear of me..
I think he brings strength..and
secrets..and love..and mysteries
that are yet to be seen and revealed....

..stronger than ever..These wolf
synchronicities are now becoming
a flaming sign to me.. but where exactly
the sign is pointing..I do not know....
I'll definitely be looking out for this one...

Now I know there are other "WOLFISH"
things to add to this list
..and as I remember more..and try
to work out why I'm seeing so
many WOLFISH things...
I will come back here and write
a little bit more.
I have a feeling that some members
of my family
..may have a few things to add to this




Love cathy xxx

No comments: